You not only CAN become a better marketer for whatever product or service you sell, you MUST become a better marketer in order to leverage your business development efforts to the fullest extent possible.
Here’s the good news …. it is not as difficult as you might imagine. It takes a change in mindset and then a bit of rolling up your sleeves to do the work and you will see improvement.
Drum roll please ……
My top 10 ways to become a better marketer for your business are:
- Understand how important marketing is to the present and future success of your business. Marketing, sales and innovation are the only three areas that produce revenue for your company; everything else is a cost to your business. That is how important this marketing and sales stuff is to the success of your business.
- Accept that as the owner of your business you have to be a marketer for the products and services you sell. Now, you don’t need to achieve expert status as a marketer, but you do have to become somewhat educated about 21st century marketing.
- Understand that marketing is a process not an event. Most business owners view marketing as isolated events; direct mail campaign, newsletter, etc., when in reality all your marketing initiatives should be tightly woven together with an underlying core strategy.
- Seek constant improvement with your marketing efforts. There are tons of ways to get better educated about marketing on the web. Also, you can attend seminars and workshops that will help enhance your marketing education.
- Understand and communicate your ‘why’. Your why is your mission or purpose for being in business. Understand this then communicate this to your ideal target audience on a consistent basis.
- Build a brand for your product or service that differentiates you from your competitors. Unless you truly communicate what makes you different and beneficial to your target market, you will end up in a sea of sameness.
- Narrow your target and be able to clearly define your ‘ideal’ customer. Only spend money on getting more of your ideal customers.
- Communicate the results you or your business has achieved for your customers. Customers want results, not promises.
- Provide a low risk try before you ask you customer to buy. Most people are risk-adverse when it comes to making purchases. You will engage with more people if you can remove their risk. A free sample, report, trial all will work well in this regard.
- Develop a systematic approach with all your marketing. You should develop a process or system for every aspect of your marketing efforts so that nothing is left to chance.